Tuesday, April 26, 2016

LuLaRoe Updates: Sizing and Trying New Styles

My love for LuLaRoe clothing is really not big news to you all who even sort of remotely read my blog. I do think some who are new to LuLaRoe are intimidated by sizing, the whole "size down" on this piece or "size up" on this one. In today's post, I thought I would share with you some sizing guidelines I follow and show you some new pieces my friend Corissa and I tried out when we went to a local LuLaRoe (LLR) multi-consultant show.

First off, I will give you my sizing details. I would have loved to have read an LLR sizing blog when I first started buying, and I want to help you out. And no, I am not a consultant, nor am I considering selling. I just love the pieces and want to take some of the guess work out of it for you, friends!

I am 5'11" and a size 6. On rare occasions, I can wear a four. I typically buy smalls but sometimes mediums in tops. The last jeans I bought were 27". I nearly ALWAYS have to buy long length in pants or jeans.

Here are the sizes I wear in LuLaRoe. If you want to see more pictures of my LLR, I post them on Instagram almost daily. Let me just say that these are the sizes I comfortably wear. I am typically not a huge fan of tons of extra fabric for the sole purpose of being "comfy," so I would also like to add that your best fit may not be my best fit, depending on your preferences:

IRMA TUNIC: I own one XXS and five XS's. Consultants suggest you go down one to two sizes from your "normal" size in tops. It really depends on the material, so I suggest asking the consultant about the material. The t-shirt material Irmas fit smaller, in my opinion. However, the one I just purchased from my friend Michala is an XXS because I have felt like the last few XS's I have purchased have been a little big/unflattering in the armpit area. (Side note: I'm wearing one of my XS striped Irmas in the picture with Corissa below.) I know loose-fitting is the point but not so loose that the silhouette is unflattering...Don't mean to talk smack about the Irma, though, because this top is my favorite LLR top. I wear mine with dress pants to work and with leggings on weekends.

RANDY TEE: I wear a small since I do like these ones fitted. I have tried on an XS (too tight) and a medium (too baggy in the wrong places for my liking).


PERFECT TEE: I own one in an XS, since I was told to size down one size. The next one I buy will be an XXS, though, so I will be going down two sizes. A lot of extra fabric on the sides, so I like to wear a structured jacket with this top since I love the print so much.




NICOLE DRESS: I own one, and it is in camo print. I had never seen a Nicole in camo print until I saw one in a sale in an XS. It is tight in the arms, but it fits. I would probably be more comfortable in a S, but if the print was amazing, I would buy another XS.


AMELIA DRESS: I own a S and an XS. I have not worn my XS out yet, though I did try it on when I received it. I am saving it for my sister's graduation from nursing school. I have only seen one Amelia in a neon color, so again, I went for an XS since I knew the color/print combination could be rare. I think I actually prefer the XS over the S Amelia on me. Below is the small.



CASSIE SKIRT: I wear a S. I have room in it to walk comfortably, and the waist is big enough that I can comfortably tuck tops in the skirt.  I tried on an XS at the show and will probably stick with smalls, though I could wear an XS. Read below to see what I thought about the XS.


THE MULTI-CONSULTANT SHOW: NEW DISCOVERIES

My friend Corissa and I love LuLaRoe and decided to go to the local show hosted by eight different area consultants.
My Irma is an XS. I am also wearing a tank underneath.

You could try on the pieces there, buy them there, and then take them home. I decided this show would be the perfect time to try on some pieces/sizes I've been wondering about.

AZURE SKIRT: I am going to be honest with you right now...I strongly disliked this skirt until the day I bought it. I thought it was way out of my comfort zone, a combination of too "sweet" and too matronly, if that makes any sense. But I thought that I would give it a try since I am kind of over wearing black pants to work at this point.

Granted, these pictures were taken in the bathroom where the show was held, and I just paired it with what I was wearing. So basically, the Irma I am wearing below is a NO with the skirt, and the pinks don't even remotely match...real, authentic blogging right here.



Open mouth, insert foot on this skirt. It is modest enough to wear to work and comfortable enough to wear out and about with my kids. The yoga pant-style waistband allows you to control the length of the skirt. I know it is hard to tell in this lighting, but the neon pink really drew me to try this one. Unless you are above 5'10", you really don't know the struggle we tall ladies have in trying to find modest-length skirts. I was happy to find this one in an A-line silhouette, a universally flattering one. I am in the small.

CASSIE SKIRT: As I said above, I have often wondered if I could get away with an XS in the Cassie. I learned today that I could, as long as the material is stretchy. If you are in between sizes in the Cassie, you should ask the consultant if the material is stretchy. My go-to size is a small, but like I said, I do have room in it, especially in the waist. I tried on an XS today (did not get a photo) in a buffalo check print and found it to be pretty form-fitting and not as stretchy in the material as my other Cassies.

Bottom line? I will probably stick with small Cassies. I like having a little more room in a silhouette out of my comfort zone. But if there is a print in an XS (that is also stretchy in material) that I have to have, I would probably go with the XS in that case only. Keep in mind that I think the pencil skirts should fit you snugly, and the XS does fit me snugly. I don't have a problem with that, but the S is just more comfortable to me.

MAXI SKIRT: So many consultants have been advising their clients to go a size down in maxis, so I tried on an XS maxi skirt and NO. Just no. It was way too small, and it was like three inches too short on me. I have a 33" inseam.

**Update: I have thought long and hard about the maxi, and I would like to give her another try. I am thinking of trying a small or even a medium in the near future! Of course, I will come back and report my findings. 

JULIA DRESS: Oh, the Julia dress...I tried one on at the party I hosted in my home. It was a medium, and I wasn't crazy about the colors/print of that one. Also, there was extra fabric in the waist that made it seem unflattering.

About a month later, I decided to try a small Julia, and I bought one in a heather gray. I could not get over how unforgiving it was, so I exchanged it for another Irma (shocker). But nearly all of the people who saw the medium Julia on me told me to not give up on finding a Julia.

And...


I found this black and gray striped Julia (in a small) pretty early into our shopping excursion, and I knew I had to try it on. I am more comfortable in this one as opposed to the gray one. I found it to be stretchier and more forgiving. I actually really liked it, and so I bought it. I usually like looser-fitting tops, so this one is definitely out of my comfort zone as well.

Real talk: I had two 10-pound-plus babies, and anything tight around my stomach strikes fear in my heart, but it was so encouraging to see women of all shapes and sizes in the Julia at the show. The consultant I bought this one from actually had this same one on! I was truly inspired by the confidence I saw all around me.

Speaking of the Julia, my friend Corissa, who teaches in my school and is the woman behind the lens in my day-to-day blog/Instagram photos (bless her...), also loves LLR, and I told her right away when she started shopping LLR that she needed to try the Julia. I just envisioned that silhouette really working for her thin frame.

Corissa is 5'8", a size 26" in jeans, and usually a 4 but sometimes a six. She had the same issue I had with the Julia...she felt like the small was too big on her but felt that some of the XS Julias were not as forgiving. But she found one, too!


Corissa is wearing an XS Julia. And she looks FAB!

GRACIE TOP/TUNIC: Corissa recently bought a Gracie tunic (think Irma in kids' sizes) because she had seen a lot of smaller-framed ladies who think the Irma is overwhelming them switch to the Gracie. She bought a Gracie in a 12 and said from now on, she will buy the 14 since she has a longer torso. She does own an XXS Irma, but even the ones I saw her try on today were overwhelming her thin frame. It all depends on the fabric of the Irma, so if you are unsure, ask your consultant if that particular Irma you want is like a t-shirt material and how it compares to other Irmas in that same size.

LEGGINGS: Corissa and I, though we both have longer legs, are fine wearing one size (OS) leggings. Those fit anywhere from a 2 to a 10.

There are still several styles that I have not tried, but I hope you found this post to be helpful. Bottom line? You are probably OK in two different sizes in LLR. It just depends on what type of fit you want. Thanks for reading!

***POST UPDATE: I am now a LuLaRoe independent fashion consultant! If you liked this post, please join my FACEBOOK GROUP for more style tips and sizing info! See you there!***

34 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for this!! You rock that Julia! I had a 10+Lb baby, too! I am terrified of the Julia but it looks great on both of you. Bought one tonight and I hope it looks half as good on me as the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! I hope you love your Julia!!

      Delete
    2. Jessica, I am now a LuLaRoe fashion consultant! I would love for you to join my Facebook group if you liked this blog post! Have a great day!

      www.facebook.com/groups/LuLaRoewithHeatherLindenmeyer

      Delete
  2. Can petit women 5 feet tall pull off the Amelia without looking shorter or swimming in the dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca! Just now seeing this message...I think it's all about where you want the dress to hit you in the leg. It is flattering on so many women, as the top is fitted, and the skirt flares out at the natural waist. Good luck finding one you love!

      Delete
    2. Rebecca, I'm 5'1" and love the fit of the Amelia! I have two that hit right at the top of the knee, not above.

      Delete
    3. Stephanie, what size of the Amelia did you buy?

      Delete
  3. All around this post is so great! Thank you for your input!!! I'm 5'8", long inseam in pants too! I struggle to find clothing to fit my curves, length and hide my belly pooch, ha! I'm just discovering Lularoe but haven't found a local boutique to attend to so I've been hesitantly shopping online. Your post has given me confidence to choose the best size for me. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna, thank you so much for reading and for your feedback! I am now a LLR consultant, and I would love for you to join my Facebook group. I'm sure you would like to see more of the clothes on someone tall! Here is the link, and have a great day!

      www.facebook.com/groups/LuLaRoewithHeatherLindenmeyer

      Delete
  4. Thank you SOO much for this post!! I'm 5'10" and wearing sizes 2-6 and ALWAYS have to buy long inseam pants. I have some friends that are starting to sell LLR and was definitely getting intimidated by sizing! Do you really think the OS is long enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! I have (too) many pairs, and they are all long enough for me! I wear them on my Instagram if you want to see some pictures: @rockstyleteach

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. So happy to come across your blog! I just bought an azure thanks to you! I'm 5'8" and wear a 6 so it's hard to know what size to buy for LLR. I found a print I loved in an small so I got it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for something like this!
    Thank you for sharing! I too am tall, not as tall as you, but 5 9' and wear size 4-6 comfortably and sometimes a 2. I have wanted to order lularoe for awhile now, and was to afraid to because of my height as well as my size. This blog gives me the perfect sizing!
    Thanks again. ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a 36 in inseam, and wear a 6/8, do you think the leggings would be long enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My inseam is not that long. I have heard ladies who have a longer inseam prefer the tall and curvy size, even when they're under a size 12, due to the extra two inches of length.

      Delete
  8. Are the Amelia dresses tight in the chest or looser? I am trying to determine which size to get!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that I came across your blog! Super cute style and love seeing how other tall girls rock the LuLa clothing!
    Have you since tried the Maxi again? I am 5'11 and thinking I might try the Medium. But I am very picky about how long my clothes are.. If they are even a half inch to short it drives me crazy.. so I am a bit hesitant.. Would love to know your thoughts!

    Thanks girl!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you SO much for your blog & LLR sizing info, it has been very helpful to me๐Ÿ˜ We are very similar in all our sizes, except you are quite a bit taller than I am (5'7").

    Curious, have you found that you needed a different size in the Amelia based on print vs solid? Or if it's made in the US vs Guatemala?

    Thanks again๐Ÿ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously awesome blogpost! You've saved me from looking frumpy in a wrong size Julia and octopus arms in a tight Randy! keeping you stored in my safari!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quick question - I'm a size 10. I know a Medium Sarah would fit best, but would a Large be ridiculous? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super helpful since I literally am the exact same size as you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I got a medium maxi skirt in today and it hits at about my ankle... I am 5'9". Weird thing is that it is jersey knit and I have a small maxi in the heavy slinky material that is longer than the medium. So I am thinking of trying a large to see if the length is better for me in that material. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they all fit the same in the hip area?

      Delete
  15. Hey, all! If you have any more sizing questions, please visit my new website: www.rockstyleteach.com! All the best!!! Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I'm interested in buying some LLR leggings from a friend, I'm only 5'2 and I wear about a 14-16 in pants. I know the OS size fits 2-10 but that they stretch. I was wondering if the OS would still apply to me since I'm shorter or if the tall and curvy would be better..even though I'm not tall? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about your dimensions, and actually I fit into the OS and TC! Gives a great variety in selecting leggings! The TC has a little scrunch on the bottom since we are short, but I just pull them up more, does not bother me at all.

      Delete
    2. I am the same sizemegan aldridge and wear both sizes. I always ask if the OS have some stretch to them before I buy. Lately, China made have been running small in the OS, so I try to stick to Indonesia and Vietnam.

      Delete
    3. I am the same sizemegan aldridge and wear both sizes. I always ask if the OS have some stretch to them before I buy. Lately, China made have been running small in the OS, so I try to stick to Indonesia and Vietnam.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. I'm a 4-6 and have bought two pairs in the last month (both made in Vietnam) that have been too tight in the waist :( If I were you, I'd definitely go with TC unless you can try them on first!

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you ever find the right size of maxi??!! What is the length from the bottom to the waist line?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stumbled across this post while looking for IRL reviews of the Julia. I'm 4'11" and quite self conscious about my mommy pooch. But I love the way the gray Julia looks on you. I also know that the different fabrics can make a huge difference. Do you mind telling me if you recall what fabric blend the Julia you finally fell in love with was? Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete